Without recommendation from a reliable source, one only has a website to go by when choosing accommodation. Most websites showcase the best of what they wish to promote but often what one finds upon arrival is somewhat different.
It is always advisable to list one’s priorities as to what is important for one’s own needs.
Firstly, is this a business trip or a family holiday? This will determine whether one needs to be close to recreational activities or not. Does one just need overnight accommodation nearby the business meeting?
If the website does not offer all the information that answers your needs, then it is best to make a list and either email or phone the establishment.
Certain points to consider:
- Is the establishment nearby the airport
- Does it offer a shuttle service?
- Is it situated near reliable public transport or do you need to hire a car?
- Is there safe off-street parking
- Does the accommodation on offer suit your needs?
- If it is important to you to have a bar fridge in your room, you may enquire if there is one.
- Perhaps a private entrance is important to you
- An en-suite may be important to you as well. You may wish to also enquire about that.
- If you are coming on a holiday, you may wish to find out if the establishment has onsite recreational activities, perhaps a bar area, a pool table, games, a pool and braai area.
- Is the establishment nearby any main arterial roads?
- Does management assist with organising or suggesting tours?
- Is the establishment child and pet friendly?
- If scenery is important to you, how would you like your room to be positioned? Some people enjoy overlooking a garden, others prefer a pool view.
- Does the establishment provide dinners?
- Do they offer pre-packed meals when going on day tours?
- Do they accept credit cards?
- Is the area safe and scenic?
- Do you prefer a quiet area or one that is in the hub of activity with nightlife pumping?
- Do you prefer a modern environment or one that is more colonial?
These are just a few guidelines to consider when choosing one’s accommodation.
Once answering the guidelines, choosing ones accommodation becomes a lot easier.